Where to Get Help After a Stroke

December 8, 2009 by  
Filed under Education

Many kinds of help are available for people who have had strokes and their families and caregivers. Some of the most important are:

  • Information about stroke: A good place to start is with the books and pamphlets available from national organizations that provide information on this subject. Many of their materials are available free of charge. A list of these organizations are under Additional Resources.
  • Local stroke clubs or other support groups: These are groups where strokesurvivors and family members can share their experiences, help each other solve problems, and expand their social lives.
  • Home health services: These are available from the Visiting Nurses Association (VNA), public health departments, hospital home care departments, and private home health agencies. Services may include nursing care, rehabilitation therapies, personal care (for example, help with bathing or dressing), respite care (staying with the stroke survivor so that the caregiver can take a vacation or short break), homemaker services, and other kinds of help.
  • Meals on Wheels: Hot meals are delivered to the homes of people who cannot easily shop and cook.
  • Adult day care: People who cannot be completely independent sometimes spend the day at an adult day care center. There they get meals, participate in social activities, and may also get some health care and rehabilitation services.
  • Friendly Visitor (or other companion services): A paid or volunteer companion makes regular visits or phone calls to a person with disabilities.
  • Transportation services: Most public transportation systems have buses that a person in a wheelchair can board. Some organizations and communities provide vans to take wheelchair users and others on errands such as shopping or doctor’s visits.

Many communities have service organizations that can help. Some free services may be available or fees may be on a “sliding scale” based on income. It takes some work to find out what services and payment arrangements are available. A good way to start is to ask the social workers in the hospital or rehabilitation program where the stroke survivor was treated. Also, talk to the local United Way or places of worship. Another good place to look is the Yellow Pages of the telephone book, under “Health Services,” “Home Health Care,” “Senior Citizen Services,” or “Social Service Organizations.” Just asking friends may turn up useful information. The more you ask, the more you will learn.

Tags: Caregiver, Social Issues, Stroke, Home care, Geriatrics, Sliding scale fees

Getting the Most Out of Your Child's Visit with the Doctor

December 1, 2009 by  
Filed under Education

Your doctor is a very important part of your child’s treatment. In fact, your doctor will plan with you the treatment that your child will need daily, during asthma attacks, and if an attack is severe. Your role in this planning is to give your doctor as much information as possible so that he can decide what the best treatment plan is for your child’s case.

Make sure to bring the peak flow meter chart with you and show it to your child’s doctor. Tell him about any severe attacks, and your child’s current medicine schedule. Also, let him know if your child has any allergies that may aggravate the asthma. The doctor may recommend allergy testing for your child.

When your doctor gives you a treatment plan for your child, be sure to follow it exactly. In case you may need to make notes during the visit, bring a pad and pencil with you.

Most important, never miss a visit to the doctor. Your child’s health depends on it!

If your child has any of the following symptoms, call your doctor right away:

  • Your child keeps coughing during breathing
  • Your child is still wheezing after using his inhaler
  • Your child is coughing up a lot of mucus, or mucus that is greenish in color or bloody
  • Your child is having trouble seeing or thinking clearly
  • Your child is feeling overly weak
  • Your child is not able to exercise moderately all of a sudden
  • Your child has a fast heartbeat or a fever
  • Your child’s chest hurts or feels very tight
  • Your child’s peak flow meter readings are in the red zone
Tags: Social Issues, Child, Asthma, greenish, doctor

Finding Good Childcare

November 22, 2009 by  
Filed under Education

This information is on finding good childcare. You’ll learn where to find childcare and how to evaluate your choices for childcare. Read more

Tags: Childcare, employee assistance counselor, Nursing home, Child care, Social Issues, Day care, Yellow

Get Adobe Flash playerPlugin by wpburn.com wordpress themes