Help and Information Resources After a Stroke
Additional Resources For People Who Have Had A Stroke, Their Families, and Caregivers
1100 Vermont Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20525
(202) 606-4855 (call for telephone number of regional office)
- Sponsors older American volunteer programs.
Administration on Aging
330 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20201
Toll-free (800) 677-1116 (call for list of community services for older Americans in your area)
AHA Stroke Connection (formerly the Courage Stroke Network) American Heart Association
7272 Greenville Avenue
Dallas, TX 75231
Toll-free (800) 553-6321 (or check telephone book for local AHA office)
- Provides prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation information to stroke survivors and their families.
American Dietetic Association/National Center for Nutrition and Dietetics
216 West Jackson Boulevard
Chicago, IL 60606
Toll-free (800) 366-1655 (Consumer Nutrition Hotline)
- Consumers may speak to a registered dietitian for answers to nutrition questions, or obtain a referral to a local registered dietitian.
American Self-Help Clearinghouse
St. Clares-Riverside Medical Center
Denville, NJ 07834
(201) 625-7101 (call for name and telephone number of State or local clearinghouse)
- Provides information and assistance on local self-help groups.
National Aphasia Association
P.O. Box 1887
Murray Hill Station
New York, NY 10156
Toll-free (800) 922-4622
- Provides information on the partial or total loss of the ability to speak or comprehend speech, resulting from stroke or other causes.
National Easter Seal Society
230 West Monroe Street, Suite 1800
Chicago, IL 60606
(312) 726-6200 (or check telephone book for local Easter Seal Society) Provides information and services to help people with disabilities.
National Stroke Association
96 Inverness Drive East, Suite I
Englewood, CO 80112
Toll-free (800) STROKES (787-6537)
- Serves as an information referral clearinghouse on stroke.
- Offers guidance on forming stroke support groups and clubs.
Rosalynn Carter Institute
Georgia Southwestern College
600 Simmons Street
Americus, GA 31709
- Provides information on care-giving. Reading lists, video products, and other caregiver resources are available by writing to the address listed above.
Stroke Clubs International
805 12th Street
Galveston, TX 77550
(409) 762-1022 (call for the name of a stroke club located in your area) Maintains list of over 800 stroke clubs throughout the United States.
The Well Spouse Foundation
P.O. Box 801
New York, NY 10023
Toll-free (800) 838-0879
- Provides support for the husbands, wives, and partners of people who are chronically ill or disabled.
Medicare Information Consumer Information Center
Pueblo, CO 81009
By writing to this address, you can receive a free copy of The Medicare Handbook (updated and published annually). This handbook provides information about Medicare benefits, health insurance to supplement Medicare, and limits to Medicare coverage. It is also available in Spanish.
Bungalow Speech Therapy Software
Effective, Easy-to-use, and Economical. Download your FREE TRIAL-COPY at www.BungalowSoftware.com Free speech-therapy newsletter…subscribe today by sending “subscribe” to: [email protected]